It’s Easter again. That time of the year when we fill Easter baskets and eggs, buy new outfits and invite the family over for lunch. Some of you might even go to church for the first time in a long time.
Truth be told, I will be doing all of those things. I think they’re fun. Except I won’t be buying myself new clothes. My wife does that. I am forbidden to shop for myself.
As fun as all of that sounds, we know, or at least we should know, that Easter is much more than bunnies, eggs, or things colored in pastel. It’s about Jesus rising from the dead and leaving the tomb empty. This is the pinnacle truth of the Christian faith.
It’s so crucial, in fact, that if Jesus didn’t rise from the dead, there wouldn’t be a “Christian faith” to begin with. Or at least there wouldn’t be faith that’s worth believing. The hallmark of our faith would be dead. Not too unlike a lot of other religious dead guys.
Our simple belief is, “Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said.” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
But for many, it’s an inconvenient truth. For some, life would be easier if Jesus hadn’t risen from the dead.
- You see a dead Jesus can’t challenge you to turn away from sin and follow him. He never gets in the way of your life and what you want to do. And won’t ask you to give your time, talent, and treasure to building his kingdom. He’ll never send you on a Great Commission to go and make more followers of him.
- A dead Jesus won’t hold you to a sexually moral and Biblically based life. He won’t challenge you to be holy in what you say, do, and think. He can’t tell you that you have to be a servant of all if you want to be great.
- A dead Jesus is very convenient, because faith in a dead Jesus is a dead faith.
However, as convenient as a dead Jesus might be the benefits of a RISEN living Jesus far outweigh them all.
- A living Jesus forgives your sins, making you right with God for all eternity. He heals your heart and your hurts. He fills you with hope, joy, and the power of his Holy Spirit. He promises you a home in heaven with him, because he actually wants you around.
- A risen Jesus listens to your prayers, your deepest struggles and never leaves you even when you’re at your worst. That’s extremely convenient. Actually, it’s more than that. It’s life changing.
That’s why I say, thanks be to God, JESUS IS ALIVE and well because he rose from the grave. And he does what only the living God can do. He saves!
As Jesus said, “I am the First and the Last. I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave.” (Revelation 1:17-18)
So, what is Easter to you? Is the truth of Jesus’ resurrection from the grave inconvenient because you want to live for yourself? Or is it the convenient life-changing, eternity-altering, sin-forgiving truth you need right now?
When Jesus rose from the grave, he proved to the world that he was who he said. The God of heaven and earth.
The wonderfully convenient truth is that “Whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
My challenge to you today is to remember what Easter is about. The truth that Jesus is alive and well.
Think about it:
- What can you do this Easter to celebrate the living Jesus?
- What church service are you going to so you can worship Jesus?
Verse of the Day:
“Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said.” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)