Do you have a bucket list? If you don’t know what that is, it’s a list of things you feel you must do before you die. Like sky diving, swimming with sharks, or hitting up all the Taco Bell drive-thrus. You know, the good stuff.
Everyone has a list of things they want to do before they “kick the bucket.” But what would you do if you died and came back to life three days later? Would you hide? Start a new life all over under a different name? Who would ever believe you came back from the dead if you did?
After Jesus rose from the dead, he did everything on his list. “After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.” (Acts 1:4)
For forty days and beyond, Jesus checked off his post-resurrection bucket list.
Here’s a list of what happened after Jesus’ Resurrection.
- He appeared to Mary Magdalene (John 20:14-16)
- He appeared to Mary, the mother of James, Salome, and Joanna. (Matthew 28:9)
- He appeared to Peter. (Luke 24:34)
- He appeared to the two disciples on the Road to Emmaus. (Luke 24:13-16)
- He appeared to the disciples without Thomas. (John 20:19-24)
- He appeared to all the disciples, including Thomas. (John 20:26-28)
- He appeared to seven disciples and helped them fish on the Sea of Galilee. (John 21:1-2)
- He appeared to the eleven disciples on the Mountain of Galilee. (Matthew 28:16-17)
- He appeared to over five hundred at one time. (1 Corinthians 15:6)
- He appeared to James. (1 Corinthians 15:7)
- He gave the Great Commission. (Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:15-16)
- He promised the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:7-8)
- He ascended into heaven to sit on the throne at God’s right hand. (Acts 1:9-11, Hebrews 1:3-4)
- He sent the promised Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:1-31)
- He launched his church with three thousand people getting saved. (Acts 2:42-47, Acts 4:32-37)
- He appeared to Saul on the Damascus Road. (Act 9)
- He’s planning his return. (Revelation 22:12, 20)
With such an extensive list, there’s no denying that Jesus wanted to make his bodily resurrection and his mission for us clear and for all to see. None of this was done in secret. They were public events.
The life change Jesus brought about by rising from the dead has circled the globe, offering forgiveness, grace, and hope to millions of people. Fulfilling the words of Jesus, the “gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14)
Do you believe it? Jesus said, “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20:29)
Click here to LISTEN to our latest message: iTunes – Google – Spotify